Edit Custom Truss Shape Properties

t.sanchez

Question

Hello all,

I've been using Vectorworks for about 8 months. Part of my job focuses on updating and correcting my company's resource manager truss symbols in our shared workgroup library. While I've managed to get almost everything in order, there's a hiccup with the original symbol properties data. Specifically, the truss weights are inaccurate in the Object Info Palettes truss properties. We have the correct weights in our custom attached records, but the goal is to ensure consistency across all the data.

Screenshot2023-11-06103355.thumb.png.a2e66d19ef46fbf81592eba4f16e4f2f.pngScreenshot2023-11-06103630.thumb.png.339b94bf3217b50b58aaae7e2473b0f4.png

I've attached images showcasing the differences. The correct weight is 63lb, but the imputed weight is 59lb. As those of you who are familiar with this process know, we can edit the data after we input it as a truss Symbol, but we would like to fix the problem at the root. The data that needs editing is the one inputted when creating a new truss (see below image). Despite searching the forums and Vectorworks itself, I haven't found a way to locate and edit this data.

Screenshot2023-11-06102258.thumb.png.fd09a2210f309404c1dcb6b9884102b0.png

One thing I have considered is recreating each symbol from "scratch" and inputting the correct data, but since only the weight needs fixing and we have over a hundred symbols, I believe there should be a more efficient solution. This is my first time posting and I feel like some of this terminology can get muddled a bit so let me know if you need any clarifications. I would appreciate any guidance or insights you can offer on this matter.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards,

Edited by t.sanchez
typo

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@t.sanchezThe 'Customize Truss Symbol Data' from the right click button after inserting a piece of truss is where you edit this data. This brings up the Truss Properties dialog which you have also done as a screenshot. If you change the total weight in this field and then click OK this will fix the problem at the "root" as you say. From there you have to delete the truss from the Design Layer and then reinsert it in order to "reset" or "burn the new data" as I say into the symbol. Once that is done then the correct weight should insert when you insert the truss.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to me, I am the employee at VWX that makes the truss symbols and sets them up for loading into the Resource Manager for users to import. You can reach out by DM and I will be glad to lend a hand.

The screenshot I attached is the Truss Properties dialog that is revealed when I right click on the piece of truss that you have in your drawing. Just change the total weight and click OK.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 16.32.43.png

• Like 1