Graphic legend - version for non-data objects

Amanda McDermott

Question

Hi, I'd like to be able to use a graphic legend for things like masterplans that don't use smart objects yet.. we either create our legends using rectangles assigned to the same class as an object, or use mini viewports onto objects. It feels like graphic legends could be expanded to have an option to use classes / symbol names to display blocks of colour / lines or 2D symbols, using either the class attributes or selecting a symbol, and display at a selected scale. - at the moment we're having to do this manually, and feels like it shouldn't be much of a leap for the graphic legend tool?

• Like 3

Hi @Nico_be - I have managed to install it, thanks. It sort of works, and I think it could be great if I can work out a couple of things, perhaps you can advise please?

1. tile fills are not showing as tiles, I'm just getting the background colour? I've set the scale as per the viewport.

2. If I try to show symbols, I get an error 'Some symbols are too big. Change the legend parameters to fit the symbols or change the symbols scale'. Again, I have the scale set correctly.

rectangles are filled e, depending on the class settings, which will be noted as the fill color and line.

For symbols, you need to give the scale of each symbol so that it can be adjusted.  If you get this message, the symbol is probably too large,

Could you paste here a printscreen?

Edited by Nico_be
2 hours ago, Nico_be said:

rectangles are filled e, depending on the class settings, which will be noted as the fill color and line.

For symbols, you need to give the scale of each symbol so that it can be adjusted.  If you get this message, the symbol is probably too large,

Could you paste here a printscreen?

Thanks @Nico_be - the rectangles are showing the correct background colour, but not the tile fills, which are set as the class definitions (I'm trying to recreate the legend in my other post). I can get the north arrow working, so the symbols should work - but the tree symbol won't show, even though I've set it to the same scale (1:400) as the drawing. I also tried setting it to 1:10,000 in case it wasn't quite fitting in the box, or the scaling was confused by m and mm or something, but that doesn't work either!

This is it 'working' (not showing tile pattern)

image.png.2526daf9567d19586df96b18268e8209.png

This is what I get when I try to include the tree symbol:

image.png.af913d4cc9eafec6187510909dcd23a3.png

34 minutes ago, Nico_be said:

It doesn't seem to work with geometric patterns, but it does with hatches.

And for plants, I can't see, it doesn't seem to work with parametric objects, it's an old plugin.

Ah, thanks anyway... Maybe someone at Vectorworks can take inspiration and develop from it! @Katarina Ollikainen and @Marketa Hermova can you please show the right person this thread?!

We've been told we're better off using tile fills than hatches generally, some hatches really slow files down. And we do have to work with plants, so will need a solution that includes those. I do still think this legend plug in could be useful sometimes though, and thank you very much for spending time helping me!

• Like 2