Making Tool Pallets

is it possible to make a tool pallet that has text fields and buttons and all that jazz?

One of the plugins I'm building talks to external gear and I need to dial in some settings every time before sending commands. I originally thought about using a point object but some of the commands require me to select lighting devices in the CAD before sending so I wouldn't be able to select the lights I need and hit a button in a point object OIP.

I guess I could do a menu command and have a dialog box pop up every time before sending but that sounds clunky to me... 

thoughts?

I don't think there is a way to do what you want.

You could make the object Event Enabled and then put a button in the OIP that calls a dialog box to do your setup. But I don't think there is a way to have a "tool palette" that shows when an object is selected or created.  Maybe with the SDK.

I have created scripts that checked for a modifier key when they start and do different things (in my case opened a preferences dialog box) if the Option key is held down when the script it run.  Would something like that work for you?

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2023 at 11:25 AM, Pat Stanford said:

I don't think there is a way to do what you want.

You could make the object Event Enabled and then put a button in the OIP that calls a dialog box to do your setup. But I don't think there is a way to have a "tool palette" that shows when an object is selected or created.  Maybe with the SDK.

I have created scripts that checked for a modifier key when they start and do different things (in my case opened a preferences dialog box) if the Option key is held down when the script it run.  Would something like that work for you?

yeah, I basically just need to make a tool pallet of buttons and text fields that trigger a script. i didn't think there was a way to do that, thought id ask though.