Best Practice for Importing Building Model into Site Model?

I would like to model my Building in one file and my site in another file.  I would then like to import the building model into the site model.  Once that is complete and I make changes to my building file can I easily reload the model in the site plan file without having to import and reposition?   Does anyone know any good tutorial videos on this subject? 

Thank you,

D

54 minutes ago, drock019 said:

I would like to model my Building in one file and my site in another file.  I would then like to import the building model into the site model.  Once that is complete and I make changes to my building file can I easily reload the model in the site plan file without having to import and reposition?   Does anyone know any good tutorial videos on this subject? 

Thank you,

D

You are going to hear some varied opinions on that topic.

I prefer to do it as you describe, building in one file which is then referenced into the site.

I have not seen a tutorial that explains it, but in a nutshell....

Set up your building how you like, typically FF= 0' elevation, lower leftmost corner of the building at 0,0

Set you site up with correct georeferrencing of the location, best to coordinate with the surveyor and structural folks as to their preferred staking out method and coordinate system.

Then, it's simply a reference of the building into the site.  You can move the building around freely on the site that way without effecting your building drawings.  Be sure to place it at the desired site elevation so it shows up correctly in sections and such.

Back in the building file...

If you like to have real world elevation on your building in section or elevation, you can make a data tag that adds real world elevation to measured and everything will be work nicely.

Ask away if you have questions.