Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Manipulating Existing geometry

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here goes.

Please see the attached file. The idea is to have the whole lot as a hybrid symbol with parameters that display in the OIP.

I'd like to use marionette to drive the geometry in the rig class  and have that parametrically linked to the light head in order to position it to whatever distance from the ceiling, 

I'd like to have the values of the light source display and be adjustable form the OIP.

I'd like to have the material of the shade be selectable from the OIP of the final hybrid object.

I've gone through the list of marionette nodes and I have no idea as to a workflow or a path to do all this.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

On 8/18/2023 at 1:35 PM, Marissa Farrell said:

@rudybeuc@gmail.com

Do you have a more detailed question? Marionette is able to interact with existing geometry in many ways, but without an idea of what problem you're looking to solve, it's hard to help.

Pendant Accent Blue.vwx

• Marionette Maven

There are a few approaches you can take for this, all would result in a Marionette Object.

1. You could store the geometry of this object in the Control Geometry portion of a Marionette Object and reference the parts in the Marionette script to make adjustments
  2. You could redraw most/all of the geometry as a standalone script and have nodes that modify them
  3. You could store this object as a symbol and extract the parts of it to use in your Marionette Object.
  4. You could do a combination of all mentioned above

The current issue with the geometry in your file is that you can't use the symbol object if you want to allow users to have different colors/textures per fixture, you'd have to extract the geometry from that symbol and place it to do that.

I believe our default content includes every node you'd need for any of these approaches.

Nodes that you may need that aren't obvious are

• Input > "Control Geometry"
  • Objects > Lights > [various in the category]
  • Attributes > Set Operations > "Set Material"
  • Operations > "Contents"

If you let me know which approach(es) you'd like to take, I can try to mock something simple up to demonstrate a workflow.

• Like 1

Ok, Great. Since part of my goal is to learn how to reference geometry already drawn, I'd like examples of # 1 and 3. 

<<You could store this object as a symbol and extract the parts of it to use in your Marionette Object.>> 

What would be the workflow or process of manipulating  a nested symbol?

And lastly, sorry, I've been starring at the pdf attached for a few days. Is there a resource with a bit more contextual information about how each node is used?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

TEST05_paged.pdf

On 8/23/2023 at 9:24 AM, Marissa Farrell said:

There are a few approaches you can take for this, all would result in a Marionette Object.

1. You could store the geometry of this object in the Control Geometry portion of a Marionette Object and reference the parts in the Marionette script to make adjustments
  2. You could redraw most/all of the geometry as a standalone script and have nodes that modify them
  3. You could store this object as a symbol and extract the parts of it to use in your Marionette Object.
  4. You could do a combination of all mentioned above

The current issue with the geometry in your file is that you can't use the symbol object if you want to allow users to have different colors/textures per fixture, you'd have to extract the geometry from that symbol and place it to do that.

I believe our default content includes every node you'd need for any of these approaches.

Nodes that you may need that aren't obvious are

• Input > "Control Geometry"
  • Objects > Lights > [various in the category]
  • Attributes > Set Operations > "Set Material"
  • Operations > "Contents"

If you let me know which approach(es) you'd like to take, I can try to mock something simple up to demonstrate a workflow.

• Marionette Maven
On 8/27/2023 at 4:35 PM, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Is there a resource with a bit more contextual information about how each node is used?

Not currently, we're looking into a way to better document nodes, but we don't currently supply anything ourselves. I believe this was user made a while back.

I can try to find time to mock up a file that can give you a framework to working with nested groups/symbols soon.

• Like 2