GIS

Hi Guys

I want to design a part of a shopping complex, but this is difficult without a GIS.  Is it possible in Vectorworks to import a site like from google earth and turn it into a 3D.  For example, Lumion is using openstreetmap to download a 3D site based on address. What feature is available in Vectorworks that is similar?

Thanks

You can import shape files and manipulate them.

Example: if you have a GIS layer for building footprints that have their elevation and height data as part of their definition, Vectorworks can use that data to build massing models automatically.  The tool is called Modify by Record.  Similarly, if other features are present like street lights, utility poles, street signage, trees, etc…. This can all be automated in terms of creating Vectorworks objects from the data.

if you have contours, you can build a Site model from them and the resulting surface can be textured automatically with a geoimage.

hope it helps,

Jeff

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JackMatsedi said:

😓 m happy to hear this is possible but i will not be able to do this from the explanation. Isnt there a video or learning material of how to do this?

I'm not sure what GIS data you have based on your description other than Google, which would shape the approach.

There are several classes on Vectorworks University which detail how to use GIS, the "modify by record" command, and data visualizations that you may find helpful.

Here are a couple to get you started:

• COFFEE BREAK - GIS TOOLS
  • SITE PLANNING AND MODELING FOR ARCHITECTS
49 minutes ago, JackMatsedi said:

In you first response you said I can import shape files.  Where do I get the shape files for the map indicated?

Shape files are usually found at government agencies/ministries.  When I did some work in South Sudan, it we cobbled together data from various ministries and NGOs.  Admittedly, this search for information is easier in other parts of the world 😞

1 hour ago, JackMatsedi said:

I am also stuck here, I do not know how to change the map to 3D buildings.  I see somehow one has to import IFC files for the same map but how do I get these IFC files to import.

You need data to create the buildings.  This could be from a shape file as previously discussed.  If you have the buildings in IFC format, you can import those into Vectorworks and then orientate them to your base map.  Finally, you might just have to make them yourself if the data does not exist.  That could be as easy as tracing footprints on the aerial and extruding them manually.

I recommend doing some independent study on Vectorworks University to get a handle on all of this, there are a lot of moving pieces to learn.  The software doesn't magically convert image files to buildings 🙂 You can also search the forum on many of these topics to see previous discussions.

• Like 2