Import from AutoCad Civil 3D not showing elevations

Hi,

I've had to import an Autocad Civil 3d file for the first time. I managed to get most of it imported successfully, but none of the topo lines are showing elevations in the Object Info palette. I see the elevations when I open the file in Autocad LT.

Two questions:

Is there a way to import the elevations?

If not, I can enter them manually (ugh), but I don't see any way to do that when I select a topo line. Any suggestions?

I've attached the drawing in case that helps. Also, I'm a pretty basic user -- I mostly do 2D landscape plans so I may need some basic explanation!

Thanks, Toni

ACAD2018-XR-Survey-Model.dwg

Edited by Toni Pogue
replaced VW file with original dwg file

I don't see the .dwg, but your VWX file contains the needed information.

Note, you have imported the geometry in at the wrong scale.

It appears to be off by a factor of 12 (engineers work in feet typically, you have imported their work as inches presumably).

So fix that first.  Then....

To convert the contours to 3D polys, grab all the contours and go to the Modify Menu \ Convert \ Convert to 3D Polys

From there, you can convert the 3D polys to a site model if you want.

EDIT--- I see your dwg now.

1st. Configure your import of the dwg correctly.

• On the main import options screen - Change the "for unites dxf/dwg file use:" to FEET (presumably)
  • On the advanced import options screen - Change your "Conversion" settings to Convert Objects to: "2D and 3D".  That will result in the contours automatically importing as 3D polys and then you won't have to convert them after the fact.

Once the DWG is imported using the correct settings, your geometry will be correct and you will see the elevation in the OIP.

Then, you can build a site model from the data if desired.  If you do that, you'll want to crop the site model to the Tee shape so Vectorworks doesn't fill in the gaps with fake data.  Overall, the .dwg file you shared was set up nicely and works well.

Here's what that data looks like when converted to a site model and cropped as described.

ScreenShot2023-07-12at09_53_47.thumb.png.4a60cf026249cc7841d5dec4c4865660.png

Since the .dwg contained georeferencing data, you can texture the model with an aerial easily.

ScreenShot2023-07-12at09_51_23.thumb.png.92e5bfac025cbddd103f91d211ac4c5f.png

Hope it helps,

Jeff

Edited by jeff prince
added additional information
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

I don't the the .dwg, but your VWX file contains the needed information.

Note, you have imported the geometry in at the wrong scale.

It appears to be off by a factor of 12 (engineers work in feet typically, you have imported their work as inches presumably).

So fix that first.  Then....

To convert the contours to 3D polys, grab all the contours and go to the Modify Menu \ Convert \ Convert to 3D Polys

From there, you can convert the 3D polys to a site model if you want.

Thank you, I will try that!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Toni Pogue said:

Thank you, I will try that!

@jeff prince Thanks, this worked great for the topo! Unfortunately all of the roads, buildings, etc are on the zero elevation now. Please let me know if there's an easy fix -- if not I may need to work on this in ACAD (meh).

And thanks for the tip about scaling. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten that...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Toni Pogue said:

@jeff prince Thanks, this worked great for the topo! Unfortunately all of the roads, buildings, etc are on the zero elevation now. Please let me know if there's an easy fix -- if not I may need to work on this in ACAD (meh).

And thanks for the tip about scaling. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten that...

where those roads, bldgs, etc actually located in 3D in the dwg?  It didn’t appear so I’m the dwg you shared.  If they were not provided in 3D and depending on your desired outcome you could:

created closed 2D polys of the items you want to appear on the site model surface and use landscape areas to project a texture onto the site model.

and/or

change them into 3D Polys and then use the “send to surface” tool to fit the lines to the site model.

Or

convert them into hardscapes and building elements.

Or….

How you proceed greatly depends on the work products you need to produce.   Design grading? Landscape design? Construction Documentation? Visualization?  All of the above?

• Like 1