Editing mode for data tag layouts: show default value, not the field label.

line-weight

Question

This is currently annoying me within a "data tag" layout but I think this applies to other types of object too, where there are dynamic text fields.

When I am editing the layout of a data tag, each dynamic text field is displayed containing the text of the field label, rather than its default value.

This makes no sense - and makes setting the layout unnecessarily awkward.

Why? Because if I have a field that is designed only ever to display a single letter or number, but I want its field label to be something like "storey number", then it's the text "storey number" that gets shown in the tag layout when I'm trying to edit it, and it overlaps other elements (that it will never overlap in actual use) making everything illegible.

For example, here is a data tag and the dialogue box I can use to set its contents:

Screenshot2023-07-12at10_22_54.jpg.b7bfc244476859e3d04cb32dd1d5fd77.jpg

But if I want to edit its layout this is the mess I have to work with:

Screenshot2023-07-12at10_24_31.jpg.ad00f50a3774d66b49c8d0805bbd13ef.jpg

To give me a layout that I can actually work with, I have to set the field labels to one of the potential values of their content, which gives me a tag layout that I can edit in a manageable way:

Screenshot2023-07-12at10_26_13.jpg.4e69945792760d329197a44bce877e6a.jpg

However the dialogue box for entering data then has to look like this:

Screenshot2023-07-12at10_28_01.jpg.db51ab33696e7b7bc62b84a9ee0c756e.jpg

• Like 2

1 answer to this question

I agree with this but I think I'm right to say that it only affects a small minority of tags: those where you are inputting data in the tag AND where the data being inputted has fewer characters than the placeholder text. Generally speaking I think most tags people use are taking the data from the object automatically + therefore what the placeholder text actually says is far less important (I don't think I have any tags which are affected in the way you describe + I have dozens of them). However I do think it would be a worthwhile enhancement as it's clearly a real pain in the cases where it is an issue (this came up once before with someone else). I think the answer might be however to have the option in the Edit Data Tag dialog of replacing the placeholder text with a description of your choosing (for the purposes of making that dialog more legible) rather than restricting the placeholder text to displaying the default value for the field. I think it's quite important for layout reasons to have complete flexibility over the placeholder text (how many characters it has) as it can really affect how the tag looks in terms of how the constraints work. 

• Like 1