Automatic sorting of objects to proper classes in new file

Hey fellow users and devs!

Not sure if this is in the right section, but I'm trying to find a way to sort objects into the right classes. To give a background of how and why, I do urban planning and often have to make a site plan of a part of a city in 2D. There are certain websites like Cadmapper who can create a file to import into vectorworks (through DWG for example) so that goes well. It then divides things like streets, grass fields and buildings etc. into different classes within a layer. 

In our company we use document templates with our own classes with their own attributes. I'm looking for a way to transfer objects from the imported file into the classes of the document template. All I would need to do is take all objects in a class with a specific name and put them in another class with a specific name, such as "imported_greenery" to "default_green" just to give an example.

I'm thinking there is either a marionette command which could do it or some other method. 

One way is to delete the class "imported_greenery".  VW will give you an option to delete all the objects of that class or move them to a different class.

Or, if the renaming scheme is consistent, you could use Batch Rename to change all "imported" to "default".

If you are looking for a way to automate it, that's probably possible - if the list of existing classes and target classes is reasonably limited and predictable.

• Like 1