Hanging a Lighting Pipe from a Truss Chord that complies with Braceworks

Hi,

Can someone point me in the right direction as to how you sling a lighting pipe under the front chord of a truss, and then include it in a Braceworks calculation please?

I've been doing a similar job to this, and I've been replacing the Doughty Coupler or whatever with a hoist, and then replacing the hoist geometry with the Doughty hardware geometry. That isn't working for me here though. There must be a better way to do this?

I've attached a picture to illustrate what I'm doing. Braceworks fails when I try to calculate as it thinks the lighting pipe is unsupported. I'm not bothered about the pipes running up from the ground, just the one that runs directly under the truss front chord.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Braceworks LX Bar Under Truss Chord.png

Edited by Chris J Clarke
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The issue here is that you do not have the pipe directly under the centre line of the truss, Braceworks only calculates drops like this if the pipe or under hung truss can connect to the centre line of the supporting truss or pipe (either parallel or crossing the centre line)

If you can line it up you would use the  insert connection tool, in place object below mode with the correct offset.

Otherwise you will need to use the insert load tool to model the behavior of the underhung pipe.

insert a deadhang brilde or hoist at each pick up point of the pipe and run a braceworks calculation with just the pipe structure selected.
Place a point load for each pick up point at the correct loaction on the supporting truss and use the data from the Braceworks calculation to configure the point load.
When you do the final system calculation exclude the pipe and use the point loads.

8 hours ago, jcogdell said:

The issue here is that you do not have the pipe directly under the centre line of the truss, Braceworks only calculates drops like this if the pipe or under hung truss can connect to the centre line of the supporting truss or pipe (either parallel or crossing the centre line)

If you can line it up you would use the  insert connection tool, in place object below mode with the correct offset.

Otherwise you will need to use the insert load tool to model the behavior of the underhung pipe.

insert a deadhang brilde or hoist at each pick up point of the pipe and run a braceworks calculation with just the pipe structure selected.
Place a point load for each pick up point at the correct loaction on the supporting truss and use the data from the Braceworks calculation to configure the point load.
When you do the final system calculation exclude the pipe and use the point loads.

Thanks for the reply Jesse. I think for now I'll just give the guys the Braceworks calculation without the pipes. All that's going on them is a long run of LED tape anyway. So we can allow for the couplers and the pipe weight in the margin of error for the hoists. They're overspecced for the job, so I think it'll be ok.

There's a limit to how much time I can spend on workarounds.

Thank you for responding though.