Vectorworks iBeams and truss with Braceworks?

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me. I have a Vectorworks draing of a vanue that has iBeams running across the venue. They've been drawn with the VW ibeam tool.

They want to run trusses that sit on top of the ibeams, rather than sling them under the ibeams. They're trying to preserve height for the lighting rig.

So my question is, can VW and Braceworks know that the trusses are sat on top of the ibeams for the Braceworks calculations? If I run the calculation it tells me it's an unsupported system.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The problem is that Structural member objects are not fully Braceworks enabled. They can be used as a hanging point but are not full rigging structural objects like trusses or pipes. Normally this sort of interaction between rigging structural objects is dealt with by the truss cross object (connecting trusses to out rig pipes, laying trusses on top of each other, etc....) but since the structural member is not braceworks enabled this doesn't work

The way round this at the moment is to add a deadhang above each point where the truss would connect with the beam. This will enable the system to calculate and give a rough idea of the force acting on the beam at that point (it won't account for the area of the truss in contact with the beam).

Hi Chris

2 minutes ago, Chris J Clarke said:

do you mean a House Rigging Point?

Use a deadhang bridle or a hoist with the old deadhang symbol. Braceworks will create a hanging point automatically to docuement the forces. Just make sure to put the deadhang in a seperate class so you can hide it for any paperwork or documentation you don't want it visible in.

On 6/21/2023 at 1:57 PM, jcogdell said:

Hi Chris

Use a deadhang bridle or a hoist with the old deadhang symbol. Braceworks will create a hanging point automatically to docuement the forces. Just make sure to put the deadhang in a seperate class so you can hide it for any paperwork or documentation you don't want it visible in.

Hi Jesse,

I put a hoist at the points where our trusses will lay over the ibeams. Braceworks will now give me a full system calculation. Thanks for the tip.

Turning off the class with the dummy hoists means Braceworks fails. Is the idea that I do a "calculate visible" and then turn off the class afterwards?

48 minutes ago, Chris J Clarke said:

Turning off the class with the dummy hoists means Braceworks fails. Is the idea that I do a "calculate visible" and then turn off the class afterwards?

Yes, the idea is to do the braceworks related workflow, then turn off the dummy hoist class when doing you are doing your sheet layer plans and documentation

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jcogdell said:

Yes, the idea is to do the braceworks related workflow, then turn off the dummy hoist class when doing you are doing your sheet layer plans and documentation

Great, that's what I was doing, just wanted to check there wasn't something I was missing.

Thank you for your help.