How do I edit an IFC imported survey

JaneBavaria

Question

Hello,

help! New to IFC. 
I have received a 3D survey of an existing building we are refurbishing. 
it is an ifc model. I want to use the floor slabs and walls that the model contains (to adjust the heights of slabs, delete some) and with walls I want to delete some walls and our new doorways in others, modify window openings to be taller etc).

But clicking on the model, everything is an ‘IFC objekt’ (to make it harder I am English working for the first time in a German office with German vectorworks…). 
none of the IFC seems to be editable. 
do I need to redraw everything as walls and slabs? This will take a long time and introduces inaccuracy I think… 

please help! 

3 answers to this question

My understanding is that Vectorworks intends that you use IFC as background information. This means that everything is a IFC object and not easy to edit. I have had several clients that use iFC. One client used to import the building and replace the slabs with their own products. Another client often gets the ifc model from the architect and uses the model as background to the landscaping. 

I wonder why you need to edit the IFC model, and if you need to edit it, can you get a better type of information like a Revit file?

Hi Jonathan. Thanks for replying. 
The existing building will be refurbished, so there will be walls demolished, stairs demolished, and new openings made in walls etc… 

The existing building has been surveyed and built by others as a model and sent to me for me to create a new model (of the proposed scheme). I was planning to use the model I have been sent as the basis of the new model. But I do not know how to make the import into editable components, eg, into a wall, a slab etc…

i am unfamiliar with revit files, do they transfer into vectorworks in a way that allows editable components? 
thanks again