Graphic Legend create Plants legend - criteria question

Hi everyone,

I want to know can the Graphic Legend Tool create a legend like the image followed? I'm not sure the legend tool can calculate the plants quantity. And another thing is our plants are on the same design layer, but in the different plant block symbol. I want to create legend for each block symbol.

image.png.01339bf17c15913baacee5e871c93a6a.png

Thanks!

Yes.  The attached file shows a very rough version using both all the plants and then versions for Locations (polygons names One and Two).

I purposely left the Qty, Common, Botanical offset vertically to make it easier to see how they were laying out. You can edit the cell layout and align them to the center of the symbol.

Lots of formatting that needs to be done to meet your requirements, but it works.

To get the vertical dividing lines I had to change the Frame margin Top/Bottom to zero otherwise I could not get the lines to extend outside of the cell to the Frame edge.

Hopefully you can deconstruct this to get what you need.

Plant Graphical Legend.vwx

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/5/2023 at 8:36 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Are you specifying multiple Viewports and are some of the plants showing in multiple viewports?

Are the quantities correct, because you have duplicated plants or have additional plants somewhere other than where you think they are?

I'm hoping Pat or another keen user can help me with a related issue. I'm trying to generate quantities of plants that are on a specific layer and viewport. The graphic legend is set up to only pull from that layer. As you can see from the attached screenshot, a handful of plants would not return a quantity, presumably because those four species are used in other layers and viewports too. I don't know how to modify the QTY legend field to get what I want. All help appreciated! 

Another, less annoying issue - I changed the 2D style for S. montanum since it was the same as S. oolentangiense, but the legend will not update to reflect the change, no matter how many times I click 'recalculate.'

GraphicLegendTroubleshoot.thumb.png.98c8f78dc584bb389795b6237e04149b.png

QtyFieldSettings.png.be77896bf519a59cdf6bcfd3261bf786.png

Thought I'd provide an update on my recent graphic legend troubles. I managed to solve both problems I was having. Solutions below:

On 1/18/2024 at 6:02 PM, Hayley Goodchild said:

I'm trying to generate quantities of plants that are on a specific layer and viewport. The graphic legend is set up to only pull from that layer. As you can see from the attached screenshot, a handful of plants would not return a quantity, presumably because those four species are used in other layers and viewports too. I don't know how to modify the QTY legend field to get what I want.

The issue was indeed in the legend field. Under 'Value Display,' I switched from 'Show single value' to 'Show multiple values,' with 'Only show unique values' checked. 

GraphicLegendQtyFieldFIXED.png.d49c69feec4755297c29fc204af3581a.png

Problem #2 was that the icon of one of my plants in the legend wouldn't update after I changed the 2D symbol within Plant Style. To fix it, I went back into Plant Style (through the Resource Manager) and re-prompted VWX to pull the 'Image Form' field from Top/Plan view. I guess when I changed the 2D style, the Image Form field didn't also update. 

• Like 3