Working with Linked Text

I got a 2 part question on dealing with linked text.

i built a dialog that shows a symbol that has linked text on it using vs.CreateSymbolDisplayControl() i would like to fill out that linked text in the symbol thats being displayed in the dialog box. is that possible? 

then after I'm done in the dialog, the plugin drops that symbol into the drawing and i want to be able to manipulate the linked text (sizing, style, etc)... is it possible to inset a symbol (with linked text) into a drawing, then dive into that symbol and get access to the text thats in it? 

The symbol should show whatever the default record values are for linked text, and you can access the record attached to the symbol definition. You can either read the field values, store them, change to display values, then restore, or you can cope the symbol definition just for display purposes, then delete. You may have to do a ResetObject() after changing the field values. 

You can definitely edit a symbol definition via script, but if you want to change the text format in just the one symbol instance, then no, the linked text follows the same rules as any other part of the symbol. If you want each instance to be different, you’ll need to create a plug-in object.