Importing filetype like Step, OBJ, IGES...

bjoerka

Question

4 answers to this question

I don't know about USD.  The others though, I have had some experience.  In recent years I received STL files from Pro Engineer....I think.  Regardless, I imported the files, did an ungroup and it was like I made them in Vectorworks.  Another company sent the STL files and they were locked.

How the exported software chooses to export a file type is up to them, so you will get different results, etc.  As many municipal organizations still work with AutoCAD, DXF is usually still sound, may not be the best, but will usually work.

If you have a client who is going to transfer files in dxf, make sure that any object you want separate has a different colour assigned to it on their end.  DXF will separate object with different colour assignments.

I understand that, but most likely it is when inporting files from iges stl obj or other than dxf/dwg vectorworks ignores the original structure in the files.

Importing these filetypes in C4D or Form-Z always results in a layer or object structure that is different than a lump of group and meshes in vectorworks...

The same is value for USD...

Edited by bjoerka

It is of course possible what you say, I am not privy to Vectorworks core programmers.  I did work with Vectorworks Germany (Nemetscheck) to implement the "Send to C4d" function.  It is based on DXF.  Still, I believe that the incoming program drives how the files will behave.  IGES is unique, but it is also a huge file.  My advice, work with DXF if you can.  

Having said that, there are others who work more closely with this problem than myself.  Perhaps some of them will chime in.

kind regards....Virtual