Mouse slowing down

O Monsen

Question

We have problems with the mouse slowing down in VW (ver. 9.5.2, Windows XP). When running VW 9.5.2 in Windows 98 the stair-function did not work on one of our two machines. After upgrading to Windows XP both machines have got the same problem with the stair-function, and the mouse moves so slowly it makes it almost impossible to draw at all. The drivers for the screen cards have been updated, I have tried to disable hardware acceleration, both without success. The mouse works fine in all other programs. The computers have 640/384 MB RAM and 735/450 MHz prosessors. Compatibility problems between Vector Works and Windows XP?

It seems like I'm jumping in late on this topic, but I had the same problem and found the solution. I purchased Vectorworks 10.5 last week. My mouse ran very slow on my Windows 2000 machine, but ran fine on my XP machine. After hours or tech support with Logitech, ATI, Dell and Nemetcheck, I learned that it was actually my ATI graphics card. When you run an incompatible graphics card with certain graphic intensive applications, the cursor can not redraw quick enough, therefore slows down.

I also had the same problem with Revit.

My graphics card was an ATI FireGL2 64 card that came with my Dell computer I bought 3 years ago. I spent the bucks the other day, and upgraded to an ATI FireGL X1 128 card. The problem went away.

Cheers,

Anthony