Mouse slowing down

O Monsen

Question

We have problems with the mouse slowing down in VW (ver. 9.5.2, Windows XP). When running VW 9.5.2 in Windows 98 the stair-function did not work on one of our two machines. After upgrading to Windows XP both machines have got the same problem with the stair-function, and the mouse moves so slowly it makes it almost impossible to draw at all. The drivers for the screen cards have been updated, I have tried to disable hardware acceleration, both without success. The mouse works fine in all other programs. The computers have 640/384 MB RAM and 735/450 MHz prosessors. Compatibility problems between Vector Works and Windows XP?

You shouldn't have these problems with either of these video cards if they are updated.

Make sure for the matrox card you have driver version 5.82.018 and for the Nvida card you have driver version 41.09.

Does this slow down happen in all files, including brand new blank files?

Do you have any other computers besides these two running VW?

There are only two machines in the network running VW. I have installed the updated drivers you mentioned, and the slow down happens both in empty documents and in existing files. I have had occasions where the mouse has behaved normally, though, but the next time the program was opened, it was back to "normal".

It is slow also when relaunched. When VW is minimized, the mouse is slow also on the desktop. It seems to affect other programs when minimized, but it is ok when I close VW. The mouse is slow in the sense that all acceleration seems turned off. I have a Logitech Marble FX ball mouse, and have to do a lot of turning to move from one end of the drawing to another. The mouse is not slow as it would be if the machine was hanging, or was running low on memory. And again, the stair tool does not work at all, but the spiral and ramp tools work just fine(!)

Okay,

what are the exact model names of these mice or trackballs?

Please include if it is a mouse or a trackball also.

On logitech's website, there is a marble trackball and an fx trackball. The FX is cordless and the marble is not.

So you can see why I am totally confused as to what exact mouse or trackball you are using.

Also include the driver versions you have installed for both of the mice or trackballs.

I can understand your confusion, because I think TrackMan Marble FX is not still in production. You can see a picture of it at http://www.comelsoft.com/images/mices/lgtrackmanmarblefx.htm

Anyway, this one is a PS/2 version, driver version 9.75.

The other cordless mouse is a Cordless MouseMan Wheel, driver version 9.75. I have not found this one on Logitechs web page either, but you can see a picture of it at http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004VVKV/0286590116384-21/028-2846921-1821355

I believe the drivers are the correct ones. I might add that I have a norwegian version of VW 9.5.2, and not 9.5.3, which you said is XP-compatible. The norwegian 9.5.3 version is not available. But again, I had the same problem with (only) one of the machines in Windows 98.

That's kind where I am confused still.

Those mice/trackball drivers are not available on the downloads page - unless I'm missing something.

I've searched on the internet and I have found a win2k driver for the mouseman, but hanve't found a WinXP driver for either. For the marble fx, I've found a driver for NT, but nothing later than that.

Are you just using the MouseWare generic driver software?

[ 03-19-2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

This is what I did:

Downloads>Trackballs>Other>Other_Trackballs_not_listed.'>www.Logitech.com>Downloads>Trackballs>Other>Other_Trackballs_not_listed. I then chose Windows XP. The suggested driver to download was "English-mw975enu.exe" or the Norwegian version "Norwegian-mw975enu.exe". The trackball has a PS/2 connection.

Logitech writes that "A Logitech mouse connected to the serial port will function with native drivers, but it will not be displayed in the Mouse Ware control center and you will not be able to program the buttons.

I have managed to program the buttons, however, and I have a PS/2 connection, not a serial. But for some reason this programming is disabled in Vwctor Works. I have programmed one button for "Enter" and one for "double click", but both are disabled in VW. Is there something about clean booting and problems in the registry?

I will try to check this out. (ref. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=support/products/document&CRID=322&contentid=6596&countryid=19&languageid=1).

I have now reinstalled the driver for the TrackMan Marble FX. I did some things different this time, I do not know exactly what, but the acceleration now works fine! But still the stair tool does not work.

I will try to reinstall the driver for the cordless mouse, too. If the stair tool is working on this machine after reinstalling the mouse driver, this might indicate problems with the graphic card on the machine with the TrackMan Marble FX/Matrox card. This graphic card is after all, somewhat outdated.

Thanks for all help so far!

I have now reinstalled both graphic card drivers and mouse drivers. The mice work fine, but the stair tool is still not working. I have asked the VW dealer Dakantus AS in Norway. They have had no other reports about this problem. They suggest installing a new graphic card, but this should not be necessary with a Nvidia Riva TNT card. Suggestions?

So when you double click in the drawing, you don't see the outline of the stair tool and no stair is drawn?

Do you get an error message?

Do you have the stair class set to visible?

Make sure the None and the Vert Trans main classes are set to visible.

Does the stair tool work on anyone elses computer running the same version of VW as you?

If so, copy the stair.vso in the Plugins folder and replace your stair.vso with the one from the other computer.

Make sure VW is closed when you do that.

Restart the computer and then try it.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Are you just using the MouseWare generic driver software?

Hello, this my first time posting, and I'm concerned about the first half of OM's question... I'm having similar problems (and have been since updating to VW10) with the mouseman dual f/x - I have just updated the driver to 9.78 (which is from June '03). The mouse speed slows to about 1/3 of it's normal movement with no acceleration.

If I minimize and go to other applications the mouse speed remains slow until the next mouse click, then is back at normal speed. When I go back to VW it's normal until the first mouse click. It's very disconcerting.

When I switch to my WACOM Intuos 2, it tracks normally regardless of applicaton... Does this mean it's a Logitech problem? Have others mentioned this?

I'm running WinXP Pro, Athlon 2200+, 1.0GB Ram, GEforce 4 Ti-4600/128mb.

Thanks for any input.

[ 09-10-2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Mike Lifton ]

Hi Katie,

I have rolled it back to the previoius driver, but still the sam problem. This is also the 2nd computer I've had this problem with - I had it with my old computer as well before updating in April of this year. I'm thinking to try removing the device all together and let windows detect it...

For now I'm using my Wacom tablet mouse...

quote:

Originally posted by Mike L:

Hi Katie,

I have rolled it back to the previoius driver, but still the same problem... I'm thinking to try removing the device all together and let windows detect it...

Hi Katie,

I was using the PS/2 port for the mouse... I went into the bios and enabled usb mouse support and then connected via usb port. The mouse now works fine. Thanks for the suggestions [Wink]