Associative Dimensioning with 3d/hybrid Symbols

AceRoehrborn

Question

It would be really great if there was a way to associate dimensions to 3d Objects and symbols.

I frequently draw stages, or lighting trusses or other items using Vectorworks tools and or our own symbol library. I need to show the location of the stage or lighting trusses in the room.  For example how far the stage locates from the back wall of a venue for instance. 

On a sheet layer I pull a dimension from a wall or other identifying location to a corner of the stage. The stage is drawn with a symbol. The dimension will snap but not attach with the green square. Later on, when the location of the stage moves by a foot or two I have to come back to each sheet layer and update all the dimensions.

It would be very useful if there was a way to attach the dimension to a symbol or a lighting truss object or fixture or any 3d/hybrid symbol for tha matter so that when changes inevitably happen it is not necessary to go re-dimension everything.

I know there are some solutions with data tags but often good old fashion dimension lines are a more clear way to communicate.

Thank you.

1 answer to this question