CPU spec for faster Renderworks

carpalmer

Hi

64 bit is not worth it at the moment as Windows 64 needs the program written for it to work correctly, otherwise it will run a 32 bit application, but in emulation.

I understand dual processors are used by Renderworks,not the Vectorworks part though, so you could go dual processor.

On the Windows side we had the introduction a while back of dual core, two processors in one. Intel's version is a bit of a compromise on this, with AMD getting it right. So you have a dual processor but its only a single socket item.

Funnily enough cheapest dual processor machines in the older sense at the moment is the Apple range, but are you open to platform change.

The machines will be faster than your current Windows setup but not as fast as potential Windows setups you could buy.

The difficulty on Windows is the diverse range of machines, components and manufacturers as well as the self build option of course.

Self build has the potential to save you money over a ready built manufuctured machine, and you can get exactly the bits you want or feel you need, but are you happy sorting computer related equipment and software issues out?

Some work on the machine spec by setting a price limit and then seeing the best combination for the money.

In the 3D world such as users of Maya etc. many manufacturers of kit optimise their set ups to work with these applications, Boxx Computers is one that comes to mind, but I don't know of any that does this sort of thing for Renderworks.

Perhaps Renderworks is not that fussy and as long as you get the fastest processor/s and plenty of ram, (1.5 gb is about right these days, 2 gb even better,) you're in a winning situation.

I have read that a 256 mb graphics card is only of value in top end games, and a 128 mb with a faster ramdac memory is better (that's how they get the 256 mb card down in price, slower ramdac)

You could try looking through some of the sites to see what the word is on good systems. One to try is the Technical and Hardware forum over at cgtalk.com

You need to set a budget figure really - not a case of whatevers best either, when the price comes in at twice what you thought, it means half of what they say is what you really want to pay and that's your budget ;~)

Happy hunting

Alan

[ 09-10-2005, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

• 1 month later...

Dual processors are a huge improvement for rendering times. Doesn't really matter which platform ( I use both ).

High end graphics cards are a must if you're going to be doing any OpenGL work because those processes are handled by the graphics cards.

Ram these days is easy- get a gig. Going higher than that I hear will give you diminishing returns, because of your processors ability to address ram past 1 gig. I've yet to substantiate this...

I had my computer custom built (xi computer, they're online) and they specialize in optimizing computers for CAD. It's a great machine (dual AMD processors, gig of ram, raid setup, high end graphics cards) and I feel that it performs as well as the G5 dual 1.8 I have at the office.