• macOS 14.4 Compatibility Issues with Vectorworks

JuanP

We wanted to provide an important update regarding compatibility concerns between the latest macOS versions, 14.4, 14.4.1, and Vectorworks.

Vectorworks has identified significant issues from the recent macOS Sonoma 14.4 updates, resulting in unexpected slowdowns, crashes, and printing size discrepancies for customers. These crashes have been predominantly observed on systems with external displays and often occur after the computer is awakened from sleep. Apple is currently addressing these issues, and we are awaiting a resolution in an upcoming macOS update.

In the meantime, we strongly advise against upgrading to macOS 14.4 or macOS 14.4.1 to avoid potential disruptions to your workflow. If you have already upgraded and are experiencing these issues, we recommend disconnecting external displays or reverting to a previous macOS version if feasible.

We are monitoring the situation and will keep our community informed of any developments as they become available.

• Like 17
    • Sad 2

Report Article

User Feedback

After updating the OS, did anyone reinstall Vectorworks 2024?  Often, after an OS update, we find VW (and other applications) start misbehaving so we uninstall, restart to 'de-cache' preferences, and then reinstall.

We do this every time there is a major update of the OS.  Once bitten...

We also suggest everyone gets a copy of Parallels on their Mac laptops in case of emergency in the Mac world (assuming Parallels is not similarly afflicted, of course).  The cost of parallels is marginal, and you then have the added benefit of being able to test VW should there be any bugs on the Mac, and validate your DWGs using DWG Trueview (free software!).

I was never a scout but am always prepared!

Yes, with a system crash that's repeatable it's common sense to reinstall the application and in my case also reinstalling the OS.  I've found a workaround in my situation.  I've notice the crash in my case is related to app swapping, the switching back and forth between open applications w/command-tab.  Upon return to Vectorworks, it crashes.  More notably it is when I have another 3D rendering application running in the background.  I'm limping along by not having both open at the same time.  

Is it possible there are few triggers for those crashes? i'm using Strata 3D software and the crash is happening only when Strata is at the background. I also using an external display but when i disconnect it, the crashes continue.

• Like 1

The update to Mac OS Sonoma 14.5 is available.

On my machine page sizes for printers are available again and the overall performance of vwx is much better.

• Like 1
    On 5/5/2024 at 1:10 AM, Uri Ben-Or said:

Is it possible there are few triggers for those crashes? i'm using Strata 3D software and the crash is happening only when Strata is at the background. I also using an external display but when i disconnect it, the crashes continue.

It seems 14.5 update has repaired this problem.  I've had both programs and switching between for some time today without issue.  Whew.  That was unpleasant.  

• Like 1