Adding grid reference frame location data to cable connections/devices

elc

Hi all,

sorry, am at the end of my abilities yet again. We would like to add grid coordinates to our "cable jumps" based on a VW grid reference frame (A-D and 1-6).

So on the other end of the below cable it should say B4 next to the destination device.

Has anybody tried this before? (Imagine this to be useful also for revision clouds etc)

grafik.thumb.png.a793abcbaa121f46447568e2f664c97e.png

In an ideal world, this info would be automatically added, but since there is no way of linking object data in design layers and layout layers (as far as I know) this is what I would like to try now:

1. Add custom object data to the devices with their location (above B4)

2. write that info to the circuits data (via the data mangager?)

3. reference that data in customized circuit graphics.

My question:

Is there a way to manually distiguish between source and destination data in a circuit object when customizing the circuit graphics?
Since the arrow function seems to differentiate between "source" and "destination" in e.g. #circuit.device# (#Schaltkreis.Gerätename#) as well.

Thanks for any hints.

Best,

George

grafik.png.19e8d5ba882170c3fbcf5cfe5e7ac316.png

(btw. another idea was to use rooms to automatically locate objects in the grid (rooms A1 to D6). But I didn't get very far as I don't know enough about how to link that info and the above question would come up again.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @elc,

Is this data saved in the device object or in attached record to the device object? If so, you can make some data mapping to save it in the device name or tag parameters, since they can be displayed by the circuit object.

The circuit can show only some of the device parameters and I do not think that the data manager can make mappings from one object to another, so I do not think that there are many options how to go for this. You can try using data tags, or display the data in the device itself, near the socket and circuit?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov