survey input/site model

jcl

I am a new user to 11.5 landmark. I am having trouble doing a cut and fill calculation. I have imported the data, and am attempting to convert 2d plys to 3d contours. there are breaks in the contours, and the command brings up a very small window, and I am not able to determine if contours should go up, down, or stay the same. the model, if I advance it one line at a time, jumps all over the drawing. do I need to somehow connect the contour lines to proceed?

any help is appreciated.

jcl, to avoid these types of closure issues with pre-formatted 2d contour lines I jst take the lazy mon's way ... create a new layerover the exst contour Layer>name the new Layer>Datum>make sure that you have "show Grid Lines" and the Grid spacing matches your contour separations 5x5, 10x10 , etc... then ... make sure you're in 3D top ... then place a 3D loci at a starting Grid intersection over the lowest contour ...with snap to object and snap to grid... use the OIP to set the Z of this Loci to that of the contour ... now copy & paste that along the contour line at the grid spacing. This provides total control over the contour hull as well.

Do this for each of the contour lines and you get a perfect site model everytime . Also the cut&fill calculates work without a hitch.

• 1 month later...

VW has acquired in the past DTM software from Compuneering but did not implemented from a real world perspective or usage by civil engineers and earth moving contractors.

I dont see why VW seeing the HUGE success $$$$ of Autocad Land Desktop module can do better?

Certainly HighRoad beats any other software designing and laying out roads, channels, breakwaters, excavation and any other related earth works, for WINDOWS or MAC plataforms! An you can use UTM or State Plane coordinates for stake outs (no scale adjusment yet but Chris is working on it!) Input can be done directly from the RECON data collectors and its feature coding is huge!! So dont lose time and just get it