Auto Backup takes a long time

Hello. I don't do any 3D with VW2017, only 2D. Everything is done on Sheet layers in Top/Plan. I do, however, frequently use the wall tool to create objects (I find it easy to manipulate) and I always try to set the walls height to 0. 

While the auto backup only took 3 to 4 seconds in many previous years, For couple of years now it takes about 40 seconds to complete the backup. Any suggestions how to make it go faster as before? On the other hand, Does the wall tool matter? If so, what would be the solution? Thanks!

I don't think the wall tool matters. It is relatively low data density.

Things that will make your file size (and therefore your save time) longer are things that are large datawise.  Things like imported images are most likely to be what is doing it. Did you put a really high resolution image into your title block? Image Fills, Textures, HDR backgrouds are all things to check for. Point clouds could also make a difference.

Check your file size in the Finder (Windows Explorer) compared to older files. If the more recent files are much larger, that would be the problem. 

Make a duplicate of the file and Purge unused object. See if that makes a difference.

Also, where are you saving to? If you are saving to a local hard drive, it will be relatively fast. If you are saving to a network location and the network speed is slow that will also have an impact.

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

Thanks again for your reply.

"...where are you saving to?..."

*** To an external hard drive in USB port

"...image into your title block..."

*** Only 2 images: 244kb & 63kb. No other images in the file.

"...Image Fills, Textures, HDR backgrounds..." 

*** No renderings at all

"...File size..." 40mb; 36mb after purging items per attached parameters

Autosave takes about 30 seconds. Is it reasonable?

699680428_PurgedObjects.jpg.f38f1618f47a827a2b59c596fd34cfb3.jpg

Hi Pat,

In fact saving to the internal hard drive takes about the same amount of time. The file is 34mb. Too big to email to lavectorworks@coviana.com. Will Dropbox work? File name: For Pat Stanford.vwx. Thanks.

Sid

Edited by Sid L.

Hi Pat,

I finally solved the problem...you're right in the first place! I created a new folder in the same folder as the VW file and set it as the autosave location. Now the saves only take about 2 seconds. All I have to do is move these files to an external hard drive at the end of the day which in turn are saved to a cloud. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1