Better "Board" object

Travis

We design & build timber-frame structures. I'm trying to streamline things by having VWA generate material lists. I need to be able to track the lenght/width/thickness of individual timbers to a worksheet and ultimately calculate boardfeet as well.

I find the column object to be very useful for the vertical elements and like the way it "handles" in both 2D and 3D. If I create a column by drawing a rectangle and then selecting AEC-Column, it doesn't seem possible to have the objects' dimensions translated through to a worksheet. I know I can set up a new type of record and enter the data on each object, but that's pretty tedious. Is there a way to have the record "capture" the necessary info from the object?

In addition, I don't find the Board object to be nearly as useful *graphically* (in 2D or 3D) as the column. It does seem to track the dimensional information, but one obviously needs both parts: the graphic and the data. Since a column can't be rotated. . .

Hopefully my explanation is reasonably clear. Does anyone see a more elegant solution than using columns and then entering the dimensional data manually for each object?

I've played around with the Rafter and Joist objects. They're much closer to what I need, but don't work in wireframe, plan view, with a hatch like I'd wish; they also can't "do" vertical. Perhaps I wish for too much!

Thanks,

Travis

[ 02-05-2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Travis Tolman ]

Thanks, Chris, for your encouragement at least. I give VWA a significant portion of the credit for our business growth over the last 7 years because we can virtual-build a structure for the client. As I'm sure you know, most people can't visualize mass and scale, let alone 3D. But they're not likely to give us the go-ahead for a gazebo costing more than a new Mercedes without a pretty clear idea of the ultimate outcome.

We find ourselves constantly pushing the limits of VWA's built-in capabilities. I guess one of us, at least, is going to simply have to dive in and learn the customizing processes.

If anyone happens to have already written a custom object(s) for timberframe components, I'd be happy to buy them.

Thanks again.

You can create a worksheet that automatically displays width/depth/height of columns. Paste the script below into a text file, and then use Import > VectorScript to get it into your document. Recalculate, and it will show you what you need for the columns.

Joists can be hatched, if you set the 2D Display option to "Width" or "Width with Centerline". But rafters cannot be hatched; hmmmmm... [smile]

Anyway, hope this helps.

Charles

Procedure LoadFile;

VAR

tempHandle, tempHandle1 :HANDLE;

BEGIN

tempHandle := CreateWS('Worksheet-1',11,5);

SetWSPlacement(tempHandle,226,242,547,885);

SetObjectVariableInt(tempHandle,86,2);

SetObjectVariableInt(tempHandle,87,10);

SetWSColumnWidth(tempHandle,1,5,120);

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,1,1,1,1,'Width');

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,1,2,1,2,'Depth');

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,1,3,1,3,'Volume');

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,1,4,1,4,'Height');

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,2,0,2,0,'=DATABASE((T=SLAB))');

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,2,1,2,1,'=WIDTH');

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,2,2,2,2,'=HEIGHT');

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,2,3,2,3,'=VOLUME');

SetWSCellFormula(tempHandle,2,4,2,4,'=C2/(A2*B2)');

tempHandle1 := CreateWSImage(tempHandle,-15'10.7883959044368",-4'7");

RecalculateWS(tempHandle);

END;

Run(LoadFile);

• 2 weeks later...

-Charles

I implemented the column VS you sent and discovered that it calculates a column's length with a formula based on volume. Since I don't understand VS terribly well yet, I'm curious why? Is there not a way to simply reference the column's length directly? (I see the term "height" seems to have different meanings, so I'm calling the long dimension in a column the "length".)

Also, you mentioned that Joists can be hatched if 2D is set to Width or Width w/Centerline. I don't seem to have success getting a hatch to show. It's not terribly critical to have hatches just now, but if there's something I'm doing incorrectly, it'd be nice to know. Would you please double-check the functionality and comment?