Putting Devices on Different Layers

Hello!

I am new to ConnectCAD and was wondering if it is possible to assign different devices onto different schematic layers. I was hoping to create schematic layers for different rooms I'm drafting. Each room has repeated devices, so while I was assigning the devices they kept going into the same layer. for example I would assign Device C in Room B into Layer "Room B" since I have everything set to ACTIVE ONLY, the devices will then disappear. once I have assigned each device to their designated layer, and I select Layer "Room B" again, everything in the object info pallet states that these devices all live in Room B...When I want them to be in their own layers. 

Am I not suppose to duplicate the Schematics Layer from the ConnectCAD template? If devices repeat in different rooms can they not be on different layers? or must everything be on the schematics layer and I must class each device in their own rooms instead of using layers?

Thank you!