multiple units and levels

lsid

i'm trying to understand and work on this project as smooth as possbile. everyone in the office is also at the same level- trial and error- and reading Jonathan Pickup book.

i got this file with all my mod-layers and classes defined for 3 unit types and 3 levels. now, the next step is to combine these unit types into 4 building types using workgroup referencing. I am wondering if I had to actually have separate file for the unit types and then reference them into this building-type file from the respective unit type file.

is this right approach? can anyone help?

mac0s/vw10.5

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There are several ways to combine "Unit plans" into larger multi-unit buildings:

Option 1: Make the units symbols, and combine them in layers at various levels as you wish.

Option 2: Lay out each unit on a separate layer, and use layer links to do the same thing.

Option 3: Lay out each unit in a separate file, combine the files using worksgroup referencing, and _then_ use layer links to combine them as in (2).

Any of these will work. I think workgroup referencing is practical only if you need to have multiple people working simultaneously on the unit plans.

thanks.

i have been trying out on this option;

1. workref into another file of all the unit types and levels.

2. create layer-linked layers of the unit types and levels.

3. unlock the layer linked layers / tools/ align layer views/ and move them to the desired layout.

I find it frustrating is having to pick the list of mod-layers for the layer linking.

Is there a way where I can add mod-layers which I have missed in my earlier selection to the layer-linking layer?

thanks.

Regarding "selected layers".. I too am working on a 45 Unit Townhome project where we are creating multiple Buildings from a select number of Unit "types". two things to consider..

One, we have decided to create a master file of all Units by Building and simply define each unit on separate layers. From there we "layer link" to Saved Sheets and note/dimension on those sheets individually.

Two, I tried the symbol option Mr. Anderson spoke of, but we ran into dimensional problems once we began to locate Fire Separation Walls, so we found it easier to work with Units one on one..

Don't know if that helps?

+pablo

OSX/VW9.5.3

thanks robert and pablo.

i' ve just created a master file of all the unit types and levels.i've even have mod-layers for the party and end walls of each level for each type. (i don't see why they are necessary but the senior thinks so for modelling elevation which i think i can do faster with 2d lines!).

i layer-link each of these mod-layers into the respective sht-layers for the unit types and levels.

I will be creating another file which will be workgroup referencing from the master file for the units-blocks.

i'm getting there....