Copy & paste

D Wood

Has the Copy command changed in the latest updates? Time was that you could Copy a line say, & then paste, or paste in place, or move, etc, at any time, now it seems that if you have already done something to or with an object, the program won't obey until you click away from the object, then click on it again. I haven't figured out which objects are affected, definitely lines, not text.

I use menu clicks, not keyboard commands.

It's really frustrating , because you don't know it hasn't registered until you hit move or paste and the original object moves instead of the copy.

Are you copying and pasting within the same document or across documents?

What OS are you using?

After you paste the object, what are you trying to do that isn't working?

Have you tried this with a new blank document or only existing documents?

[ 10-02-2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Are you copying and pasting within the same document or across documents?

Within the same document.

What OS are you using?

OS10.2.6, VW10.5.

After you paste the object, what are you trying to do that isn't working?

It's the copy function that apparently doesn't work, but I don't know it hasn't worked until I try to paste.

Have you tried this with a new blank document or only existing documents?

Existing documents. I start new jobs by duplicating a previous job and modifying it.

So the problem is that you try to copy something and it's not copying - i.e. nothing happens when you go to Edit>Paste?

For testing sake - can you draw something in a new blank document and try to duplicate your error? This will rule out file specific issues.

[ 10-02-2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Thank you for your responses so far.

OK, I set up a new document and drew a line. You can either keep the line tool selected or deselect it.

I moved the line an arbitrary distance, clicked Copy, then paste in place, then keyed in a new x location, and the original line moved, there is no copy.

Is this supposed to happen, or is there something else corrupted in my installation? I recently had to do a re-install when the door & window tools stopped working.

I still can't duplicate the problem.

So you get an object that moves, but you only get one object that moves, you don't see two objects.

Can you try the copy and paste in place again, this time instead of moving the object via the OIP, try to either nudge it with shift and arrow or click on it to move it around.

Also take a look at the OIP and see if it says LINE or 2 LINES.

Thanks

Sorry about the time lapse between responses - I am in New Zealand, we're about 17 hours ahead of you, so our working days don't overlap much.

I think I know what's going on - because I'm using the OIP to move the object, the dimension box I used stays highlighted (even after I click Enter), so I am actually copying the figure in the box, not the object itself. If I click Paste In Place, the figure is replaced by the same value, if I click Paste, the figure is added on, and the object moves twice the distance! So I have to click away from the object (or click on it again) to get out of the OIP, then use Copy and Paste or Paste In Place.