Current State of VW

Ken

I have not participated here for several years. Skimming the topics seem to indicate the same abysmal state of problems and unresolved quirks, but of course I know that's not entirely accurate.

Can somebody offer a summary of the state of VW or VWA? I'm interested in upgrading from my VW 8.5.2 to perhaps VWA as I'll be getting a new Mac that runs OS X. Should I wait until the Panther upgrade for X is available later this year? Are we near the launch of another version of VW? Is the current version best -- if not, which version is?

Related comments welcomed.

Archken, there are improvements, but not as dramatic as you would want! I don't think this is the decade for great leaps in digital technology. But, obviously, I've felt it was worth upgrading to version 10. I'd say that 10.1.2 is the best version since 8.5.3, and offers some significant new capabilities over version 8. The "compose" and "decompose" commands are worth checking out.

Mac users seem to have more complaints about OS-related instability than Windows users. I hear that v 10.5 is coming out in a month or so, which may have solved some nagging performance problems with version 10.1.2.

[ 08-21-2003, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Thanks, P! Improvements since VW8 may be enough for me to take the leap regardless -- instead of waiting further.

Maybe I should stick with basic VW. I saw the encouraging Macworld review of VW10. Lack of online discussion here I hope is to due to busy users taking advantage of it... if not moderators clamping down on loose talk (aka free speech).

But as far as digital technology I'm an optimist. Apple, especially, is forging new inroads with 64-bit G5, iSight, iTunes, etc. Their concept is far-reaching-- perhaps leading to another "Internet bubble" sort of explosion. Perhaps soon. Who knows.

[ 08-22-2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Archken ]