newbie question about 2D/3D view

I'm beginning to use VWA after years of working in AutoCAD--I really appreciate its capabilities, but am trying to get a better grasp of the areas in which it differs from AutoCAD: namely, Sheets, Classes, Layers and the 2D/3D environments.

Having created a drawing using the Setup Assistant, I made a model based upon imported DWG file (plan only). I'm trying to get the 3D view without the 2D plan superimposed upon it. Is this an issue of changing all the layers of the plan view so they can be turned off for a sheet showing the model or is there an easier way to hide or obscure the 2D plan?

Thanks!

The roof worked out, I think.

The 2D info that's showing up is the plan view of the objects I'm keeping visible for the 3D view.

That is, the exterior walls are drawn on one class and layer. When I make that class invisible on the plan it also disappears in the 3D drawing.

I'm guessing that I'm not thinking of this process in the right way, I just haven't figured out the right way as yet...

For 2d objects such as dimenisons, simply turn the dimensions class to invisible.

What other types of 2d objects do you have on the drawing?

2d objects don't move in 3d views. They stay stationary, hence the 2d property.

Turning those classes invisible will do the trick for you.

Did you get your other problem with the roof worked out? I never got a file from you, so I assumed you did ..

[ 04-24-2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Grant,

the VW definition of 3D space is one of the most weird things when stepping over from AutoCAD.

2D objects have no "definition/place" in 3d space and will simply stay where they are, whatever view you switch into. 'hybrid objects' (walls, hybrid symbols) have something like a double definition, the 2D part will vanish when switching into another view.

The only way I know of to make 2d parts disappear is to create a layer-link and switch the option "project 2D objects of". Make an empty layer, make it active, go to 'create layer link' in the view menu and select the layer in question. (for further information about layerlinks see the handbook, it's a great feature).

Cheers, Esther