Where are the colors?

gnkarch

Am working in VW10. Any object inserted into the drawing from the Objects Palette, is drawn in black color lines. If an object is selected, the attributes palette indicates the correct class color & line weight, as opposed to what is shown on the drawing. This occurs when using the Task Manager & Class and layer are set correctly. If I create a symbol from scratch (rectangle, etc.) it is drawn in the proper color and class. I updated my video driver a few days ago, so that's not it. What's going on?

P4, 2.23 Ghz

512 Mb RAM

Windows XP home

There is one thing that could affect an object from not using the class options.

If you have drawn a number of objects in a given class, then go to the Classes dialog box to use graphic attributes - you should get a dialog box asking you if you want to apply the graphic attributes to objects in this class.

Options are yes, yes always, no and no always.

If you clicked on NO, then the objects already drawn in the class will not use those class attributes.

If you click No Always, it will never use those graphic attributes for this specific file within VW.

THere was a long thread about this in the general discussion section of the message board about 4 months ago - give or take a few months. I outlined exactly what each option does in great detail as well as when you should and shouldn't use the various options.

Robert:

This occurs only with PIO's created from Object Palette. PIO's selected from Resource Palette, display in the appropriate class colors, etc.

Katie:

I am familiar with the Class Dialogue block. I always click Yes &/or Yes Always. Regarding the file in question, the objects displaying incorrectly were assigned to their correct class from the start & were never changed. However, after reading your post, I selected several doors (placed by Task Mgr in Sills Class), the Object Info palette listed the objects as "Doors in Wall" - I changed the class to None, clicking Yes in the Class Dialogue block, and then changed the class back to Sills, again clicking yes. The walls that the doors were inserted in changed to the Sills class color (blue), but the objects remained black. This is not a big problem, but I would like to know how to correct this.

Robert: I have read the post Why Are My Redlines Black?, and checked the none class & unchecked the "Use Graphic Attributes at Creation" box. And that has worked for most objects. I can manually select the class color for the objects that appeared in black, and the objects will change to appropriate color. However doors remain drawn in black even though windows will change color. Why won't the doors change color as well as other objects?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

gnkarch, my only guess is that the doors are not being regenerated. Try this theory out by selecting a single door, and check or uncheck one of the "category" checkboxes on the Info palette. If this updates your door color, you can regenerate all objects in your drawing by selecting the Organize:Scripts:Create Plug-in object... command and simply clicking on the OK button when the dialog comes up.