Lighting Device Data export pan & tilt?

mark_r

I am trying to export a light plot's data to a pre-visualizer and, like many, have had problems. When importing the data in Capture or WYSIWYG, the instrument pan angles are way off. Instruments are focused all over the place. I have devised a relatively painless fix, using Excel to massage the pan values, but that should not be needed.
It seems there are two problems.

First, these pre-viz apps calibrate z-axis rotation (pan) with positive values going clockwise and negative, counter-cw. Vectorworks does just the opposite. Surely there must be a preference I can change for this? (Pos. value to CW is rather standard) Or, a procedural step I am missing when inserting an instrument?

Second, VW starts the pan rotation deriving 0-deg from the angle of the 2D symbol, then uses the symbol's Z-rotation value as an offset. OK, but a program such as Capture always put 0-deg at north and doesn't seem to use the Z-rot. (It does, later, but not in importing) Is there a way to export an absolute value for "Pan" rather than a relative one?
Mark

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently there is no way to address these issues inside of Spotlight that I am aware of, as the problem is with how Wysiwyg or Capture deal with importing files and data.

In the future there is some hope for improvement, Wysiwyg has announced that they plan to add support for GDTF and MVR which should solve this issue, I am unsure about whether Capture intend to do so as well.