Extrudes

Is there anyway to create an extrude and have it display a pattern fill in wireframe iso? Also, what if I want my extrude to have a different texture mapped to each face? Do I need to treat each face as its own entity and create one for each texture map that I want on my extrude? Or am I missing the point and I should create another type of 3D model to accomplish this....

In addition to islandmon's always informative answers,

and in reference to the second part of your question,

you can also convert an extrude to 3D polygons, which leaves you with a group of 3D polys, and then depending on complexity of the object and your patience, map textures on each face, as defined by single 3D polygons.

Wire means 'wire' but there are ways to 'fake' a fill pattern especially easy with a 2D Poly & Image Fill.

Models can be 'solid' as an extrude and/or they can be hollow 'surfaced' as in NURBS Surface.

If you use a Wall Object you can texture 2 sides & center differently.

Also there are ways to decompose objects into different NURBS Surfaces and then you can assign diff textures.

Thanks for the info. I figured the only way around the fill pattern was with a 2d polygon fill, which I did on the viewport after setting up my presentation view.

As far as converting an extrude to 3D ploygons, is this the "normal" way to create 3D objects with different textures? Maybe it's a strange concept for me to think of creating an extrude, then converting it to several 3D polygons, then ungrouping them, then texturing the faces, then re-grouping them. It also seemes like a weird concept to think of a scene renderd with hundreds of individual faces textured which could have no actual mass. Any suggestions on how you render 3D scenes? Any insight is helpful and appreciated, as I am new to 3D presentation with regards to my lighting designs.

3D scenes are composed of 3D objects ... and a few Image Props ...

each 3D Obj has it's own textural characterisitics such as with a window frame and the galzing within it (see the PIO ). Scenes are 'built' from all the different objects. It's very rare to have to decompose a 3D object and texture each facet differently ( also not very efficient ) . Practice using the tutorials ... set up the cubes & cones & stuff and then lites & textures. Once you get the idea of the process the rest is easy.

Thanks islandmon for the info. What is PIO, Plug In Object? Also where can I find tutorials that deal with simple primitives like cones cubes etc, and how to texture, light, and render them? Then I need to try and render a "real" scene poulated with people, objects, and the like.....

Thanks again

Jim, I'm curious though-your original question seemed to be referring to different textures on each face, not simple primitives.

Rare or otherwise, a cabinetmaking plug-in to VW called interiorCAD makes a lot of use of groups of 3D polygons to create all sorts of detailed "real world objects," among them cabinet cases, doors, drawers, hardware, etc. In this particular case, there are dialogs to choose textures for each face, as in one kind of edgeband, another kind of cabinet interior, then yet another kind of cabinet exterior. The objects are not "decomposed," (just as an extrude will not decompose, but convert into 3D polygons)--rather, it is another way of modelling. Mass doesn't matter to a processor, only to our sense of the world. It is quite effortless to texture various facets, though I realize this is a specialized application.

For more basic rendering, I think some tutorials are in the VW Help files, and also in various Nemetschek support discs. And yes, PIO is plug-in object.

Gytis