adjusting the position of a plane exactly in reference to another plane

Disclaimer, I'm moving over to the VW world from the autodesk world... Maya and autocad

So I'm struggling with editing solids.

I've been working with test files to get my understanding of the editing capabilities of VW.

Please let me know if I'm going at this from a misguided direction.

Question 1: Am I wrong in thinking that in VW I can only select faces?

In Maya I can select points, lines, or faces from any view pane (i.e. top/plan, right , left, isometric) with a selection box and then edit/move the elements in any view pane.

Can't seem to find a similar workflow in VW.

Question 2: how do I select and move/edit completely vertical faces from the top/plan view ? (or completely horizontal from the 'right' view pane)

It seems you can't select a face if it isn't 'visible' from the current camera...

(Maya does have a really handy "face center dot" selection mode that makes drag selecting with a selection box very easy).

Looks like all the objects I'm working with are 'generic solids'.

All the faces seem relatively easily selectable in a 3D view with  - But accuracy seems much more difficult in 3d as opposed to plan and elevation views.

Do I just need to forget about editing in the top/plan view pane once I've brought in a 3rd dimension?