VectorWorks system usage

Can anyone say why VWA has a constant CPU usage of around 30% as shown in windows task manager \ processes even when there are no dwgs open? I dont think I have any other programs on my PC that use so much CPU power just doing nothing - that includes AutoCAD. This might explain why VWA is so slow in comparison. Is it something to do with the HASP dongle?

VW Architect 11.5.1

AMD X2 4400+

6600GT

2MB RAM

If you are talking under the processes tab in Windows Task Manager that is a different issue.

That will show a Mem usage of about 40 meg, with Vectorwork.exe running but with no files open. But then again this is perfectly normal, Photoshop 7 open without any files open will show 37 meg, and Internat Explorer on mine 22meg as of this moment, with me writing this reply.

I doubt very much if you'd get Autocad to show considerably less, maybe even more, if this is the same place you are looking in as me, under the "Processes" tabbed window.

Under the "Performance" tabbed window the CPU usage on the left hand panes and the CPU Usage History in the right hand panes both show 0% only rising to 1% as I type this.

Is this what you mean ?

Alan

[ 02-07-2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Ahhh... I should have tried out opening and closing files a little more before posting. The 30% cpu commit only happens on first starting VW and will continue if I do not close the blank drawing that opens by default. The base cpu level remains around 30% rising on any actions like opening working drawings but falling back to around 30% UNTILL I close the blank drawing in the background. I usually just ignore that blank and open my work in progress. I shall be closing it immediately in future. Is there a way of switching that blank off on start-up?

Strange

After your last post I started VW and left the default new document in place.

Still 0% CPU usage in the graph for CPU usage and CPU Usage History on the "Performance" tabbed window, with 43 mb showing in the "Processes" tabbed window for Vectorworks.exe

Flickers up to 1 or 2% but that's got to do with me typing this etc.

So the plot thickens !

Does it drop to zero usage with everything set the same but with VW off completely?

In other words is it something else using memory.

Alan

[ 02-07-2006, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

It only happens when VW opens with the initial blank sheet. Before I open VW the cpu is normal and base is between 0 and 5%. As soon as I open VW it shoots upto @65% peal and then stlles to 30%. Nothing else effects this until I close the blank page. then everything else returns to normal. It is definitely the blank page that automatically opens that is the cause everytime.

I'll agree in your circumstance it is the case, but I don't think its the blank document that's the cause in itself merely the indication of something happening within VW.

In other words I can't see the blank document being corrupted but once open it starts an incorrect or corrupted process in VW to start.

I can only suggest trying to reinstall the program. It's almost seems like something is happening to the file, an action that you cannot see, I'm guessing now, something like a script running, or its going through some procedure.

Have you installed or created any scripts, plug ins etc?

Is this as a stand alone workstation or are you connected to a network running other copies or using it in a workgroup referencing situation?

Have you moved the location of the default blank document, or created your own using your own set classes, etc and renamed this the default document at all ?

Is the same happening with existing VW files or if you leave them the CPU is zero, of course without a blank document in the background ?

What happens if you save the blank document as a named file without doing anything in it, then reopen it?

Alan

[ 02-08-2006, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]