VW11 to VW12 conversion problems

OK, I have to gripe about this. It's driving me nutty. After being away from VW for about 1 1/2 years and coming back to work with v11.5, I was pleasantly suprised by a lot of changes. But, of course, with each new major version, there are some glitches. I hadn't had anything in 11.5 irk me, but the upgrade from 11.5 to 12 really has me steaming... all over little itty bitty issues, parts of a larger program update and strategy. At this moment my despair is...

The conversion of door/window PIOs.

When opening a file created in v11.5, v12 takes a while to cycle through the drawing and update PIOs to the new ones. For me, this has been with distressing results.

As the new converted drawing comes up, the doors are gone. Apparently the new PIO uses a new class to demark/display newly delimited parts of the object. This class is NOT a part of my original Class visibility structure. While this may seem trite, it is annoying because when I turn the new class on, the lineweight and color (and thus visibilty and printing output) of the door PIOs is now incorrect/inconsistent with my drawing standard. It means a lot of new work on my end to fix these things. It also means another shift for the whole office to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, I have appreciated all of the advances NNA has made with VW toward matching the BIM power of a program like ArchiCAD, but sometimes these improvements in programming and features set me back in terms of practical productivity while I adapt/adjust/relearn.

Please, please, please be more conscious of this while continuing to advance VW. Moving forward with the programming at every version should not push those of us applying the program to everyday practice backward at the same time, with every step.

For myriad reasons including those noted by jwouellette it is utterly impractical to upgrade during a normal production cycle. Even little things like changing class attributes can throw sand into a well oiled machine ; )

I usually postpone upgrading until a debilitating disease or serious accident shuts down my normal bodily functions. Then 'cast in hand' I hop full force onto the learning curve.