files for quick access

In my current template file all the hatches, symbols, etc.. that we use are in the template file which make it a very large file. How do I create a file with the individual hatches, plumbing etc. and be able to access from the Resource browser.

I noticed that now in VW12 all the wall types are in a drawing, but when you click on the create wall tool you get all the wall types in there to choose. If you add a wall type to the wall drawing it will show up in the list. How is this done? How do they get the wall types to be linked to the wall tool so you can access during creation. There are other symbols etc I would like to do this with.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Gary,

Any file can be accessed from the Resource browser. If you create a new file and you want to add resources to it that exist in another file, you just need to make the other file active in the resource browser, and then you can import resources into the new file. To make a file active in the resource browser, click on the popup next to File and Folders. Then to have the file available temporarily (until you make another file active in the RB), click on Browse a Document. To have a file available permanently (until you remove it), click on Add New Favorite Files.

A new feature for VW 12 is default resources. Inside the Libraries folder is a Defaults folder. Inside the Defaults folder are many folders. One of them is a Walls folder. The wall types you see on the create wall tool come from the files in this Walls folder. The hatch menu on the attributes palette and the hatch list on the Select Hatch dialog contain hatches from the Attributes - Hatches folder. You can edit files in these folders to change what the default resources are.

I hope this helps.