Newbie - help with site modelling

Dear all

Please could somebody give me an idea of what kind of file size Landmark 10 can import to create a site model and also an idea of how long it should take.

I have a 29MB text file containing easting, northing and elevation data (it is LIDAR data) from which I want to try and generate a site model. Is this possible or is it asking too much?

Many thanks for any help.

This my first attempt at using Landmark so please be gentle!

Marshy

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I don't know about the format for LIDAR data. Is it ASCII data describing 3D points? If so, a 29MB ASCII file is a very large number of points. The DTM cares only about how many data points it is dealing with. Do you know how many data points you have here?

Robert,

The data is indeed ASCII data. Each line contains: Easting value, Northing value, Elevation (in metres) and is seperated by tabs.

I think I am right in saying there are 1513223 lines of data so there an equivalent number of points!!!

I guess from what I have been reading here this is too large a data set. Any help on what is the maximum number of points a site model can be created from?

Many thanks

Marshy

Ignore what I said - wrong file was given to me, was trying to model and area the size of a large city!!!

Actual file though does have 52,000 data points. They are spot heights taken using a plane and are every two metres.

I have tested it using the first 3000 data points and it appears to work, I guess the 52,000 is asking too much.

Cheers

Marshy