another import survey file question. Pamela?

azizg

When you import data as a survey file, and specify meters as the units VW obviously interprets the elevation in Meters but what about the 'Northing' and 'Easting' values? My Data is coming from a GPS unit and it stores these values in 'Degrees', 'Minutes' and 'Seconds'. But when I import a file covering several hundred meters of area VW creates points which area millimeters apart.

Am I doing some thing wrong? Is VectorWorks doing some thing wrong?

Pamela your data example looked like its was 'Degrees' and 'Minutes' how do you get along in this situation. Is there some application that can convert this format into 'Meters'

Pamela I hope your excitement at finding some to help hasn't faded, because I could really use some of your experiance at the moment.

Thanks

Well, I would be more than glad to help you, but I have to admit, I have only been using vector works for about a month. The only reason I could answer the first question, is that we use a data collector and I was shown how to download the data and the whole process is convaluted because VW won't accept standard data files for some reason.

From what you descibe and my limited experience it sounds like either a simple setting in either your gps settings or you VW document settings. I am at a lose here. you might try to contact the vendor for the gps unit. We use english units and I am not sure about converting to meters, if you would like send me your gps data file in a .csv format and I will try to import it and see what I can get.

Pamela

phays@egberslanddesign.com [Wink]

[ 03-11-2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Pamela ]