layers

I guess im confused. I'm used to photoshop and sketchup. In the file I'm working on now, I have a layer for the stage, senic elemnts, lights, and text, and dimensions.

When I extrude and try to fly over in 3d, the current layer goes to 3d, but the others stay in 2d. I'm using classes a lot like CSS for websites, but I think I saw a option to hide them, or gray them. I use layers to hide stuff.

What are the general rules with layers and classes?

Image them just like you have in Photoshop but they work independantly of each other unless you use preferences such as layer link.

Even visibilty can be customised. You can turn them on and off just the same but you do different procedures to do so, in the layer dialog box as opposed to the layers tab/pallette in Photoshop. Even have different scales per layer.

Created for a different purpose but share certain common objectives in what they want to achieve.

I don't think there are hard and fast "rules" to layers and classes other than guidelines, and the flexability within Vectorworks to accomadate different disciplines and ways of achieving required results.

My needs are different to yours and I'll use these functions in certain ways differently to suit my workflow. Both can be right and get to the same "result" but still can be improved upon by looking at other ways people work.

You go down the road, along the bypass to the papershop to get your paper. I cut across the park, under the subway to get mine from the same shop. We both got our paper. Your way is quicker and your back home sooner but run the risk of being rearended by a looney racing along. I take longer time but get the option to see the ladies sunbathing in the park, but risk treading in something nasty.

Others will not doubt put forward good suggestions specific to your industry.

Best of luck. I think its a great program

Alan

In my little world Layers are containers for Objects whereas Classes are for the parameters of those Objects. Layers control the display of entire sets of different types of Objects whereas Classes control the display of parts of those Objects including the entire Object. Layers links allow Layers to operate as a single entity for display of 3D views. Double clicking on the linked Layer takes you into that Layer to edit it.

ViewPorts have the awesome power to place control of just about everything in one display container. So that you can mix & match as required.

There is nothing wrong with the way you are working, we also use layers to define more discrete regions with in a building level.

The tools you might need is either...

-Align layer view - which will move all the layers into the same 3d view as the active layer.

-viewports- If you use a viewport that sees all the layers then moving where that viewport looks will show all layers in 3d.

-Layer Links- the other option is to have extar layer for a model and add layer links for each of the layers of the model.

each has advantages and same shortcoming, so it's best to have a play with each to find which suits you best.