VectorWorks 11.5 install issues (from 11.01)

I have 2 user accounts one my machine, 1 is an administration account and 1 is a normal user account (but has admin rights). When I install the VectorWorks 11.5 update the administrator can open and use the updated application without issue. When I log-in as the other user the application fails to launch. I have modified the VectorWorks 11 privileges and this takes me further but still reports an error:

"One of the VectorWorks external resource files ("VW Resources", "VW Locale, or "WV Help Resources") cannot be opened, so the application cannot continue."

I could log-in as the root user and change the app privileges so that I can use it. But I am running VW's in a network environment with 40 users and this isn't feasible.

There is something definately not right with the 11.5 update and needs fixing.

Anybody else seen this? Katie?

Jason Turley

IT Manager

Nicholas Hare Architects LLP

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Turley:

I have 2 user accounts one my machine, 1 is an administration account and 1 is a normal user account (but has admin rights). When I install the VectorWorks 11.5 update the administrator can open and use the updated application without issue. When I log-in as the other user the application fails to launch. I have modified the VectorWorks 11 privileges and this takes me further but still reports an error:

"One of the VectorWorks external resource files ("VW Resources", "VW Locale, or "WV Help Resources") cannot be opened, so the application cannot continue."

I could log-in as the root user and change the app privileges so that I can use it. But I am running VW's in a network environment with 40 users and this isn't feasible.

There is something definately not right with the 11.5 update and needs fixing.

Anybody else seen this? Katie?

Jason Turley

IT Manager

Nicholas Hare Architects LLP

Is this on Mac OS X? You'll need to set the privileges for the entire VectorWorks folder (and subfolders) so that VectorWorks can be run by non-administrators.

Lyndsey

Thanks for the quick response Lyndsey,

Yes this is Mac OS X (10.3.8) on a dual PowerMac G5.

I do understand the permissions issue but I shouldn't need to set the folder privileges so that non-admin users can use VectorWorks. The installer should take care of it. Shouldn't it?

As I said I can set the privileges but my environment is a managed one and I don't wan't users going into the VectorWorks folders and removing things.

This must be a bug in the installer. 11.01 didn't exhibit this problem.

Jason...

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Turley:

Thanks for the quick response Lyndsey,

Yes this is Mac OS X (10.3.8) on a dual PowerMac G5.

I do understand the permissions issue but I shouldn't need to set the folder privileges so that non-admin users can use VectorWorks. The installer should take care of it. Shouldn't it?

As I said I can set the privileges but my environment is a managed one and I don't wan't users going into the VectorWorks folders and removing things.

This must be a bug in the installer. 11.01 didn't exhibit this problem.

Jason...

Hi Jason,

I'll make sure that those responsible for the installer are notified.

Thanks,

Lyndsey

What you describe happened to me, too.

Solution:

In admin account, go to your Applications folder, highlight the Vectorworks folder, bring up the Info panel on it (command-i), expand the Details options, click on the button that says "Apply to enclosed items..." Press the OK button. You're back in business.

Yes I know you can do this but it defeats the purpose of the Mac OS X privilege model.

I run VW's 11 in a managed Mac OS X environment and don't want user to be able to remove parts of the VW's installation.

When the installer runs it should set the correct privileges on its files and folders. These should then allow a non-admin user to operate VW's but not modify or delete any part of the installation.

I think the installer is broke and needs to be updated.

Jason...