Windows XP SP2 updates

Assuming you mean Windows XP SP2, what problems are you refering to? I'm running VW on WinXP SP2 and have had no problems, except for the inside radius dimension function.

Should you update to SP2? That's up to you. You could continue to work just fine on SP1. The update is big, even across a DSL connection.

I've never been a fan of installing an OS as an update. You're usually better off starting with a clean install of the operating system, followed by a clean install of each application. That said, I upgraded Windows to SP2 in August, and it did not break any applications. The only thing that really had to be fixed was my wireless network.

If you want to play it safe, back up your Vectorworks drawings, then uninstall Vectorworks, then update your operating system. When your system is updated, then do a clean install of Vectorworks, and you should be good to go.

Good luck,

-Rick Francken

Hi Rick,

There has been lots of posts relating problems with VW and updating to sp2, (search for sp2 to read a number, ie - http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=004039 and here - http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=004182)

It seems there is definate compatability problems and I don't want to load sp2 if there is problems especially if sp2 is not needed.

Interesting to hear your experience though.

[ 02-22-2005, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

Viper x,

I read a few of the SP2 postings. Most of the problems seemed to be resulting from the drivers for the Aladdin hardlock or video card driver.

That's just to be expected. My previous employer used dongles for their software, and it was a nightmare when Windows XP came out, for the same reason. And I remember that drivers were also a problem when XP SP1 was released. Windows treats drivers a lot more strictly than regular program modules.

Since I don't have a fancy video card and my Vectorworks license does not require a hardware dongle, I have not been exposed to the driver problems.

Aside from those driver issues, most of the problems I observed while doing tech support were because the person who was updating to SP2 or installing a major application was also downloading stuff, surfing the WEB, defragging the hard drive, running virus scans, playing music, and clicking frantically on the Installer window buttons when nothing appeared to be happening.

If you don't have the hardlock or fancy video card, you probably will not have any problems. But here's what I did as a safeguard:

I made sure that "System Restore" was turned on. You can find that setting by going into the Control Panel, open the "System" applet, and going to the "System Restore" tab.

I created a restore point before running the Windows Update for SP2. You can get there by going to "Help and Support" in your Start menu and look in the "Pick a Task" section.

Now you can update to SP2, and if you have any problems after you install Vectorworks, run System Restore and restore your computer to what it was before you updated.

Good luck,

-Rick Francken