error when opening VW11 .dwg export file in AutoCAD

Hi Everyone -

I am currently experiencing a problem opening a dwg file in AutoCAD that was exported from Vectorworks 11. AutoCAD attempts to open the file, but then displays the following error message:

FATAL ERROR: Not enough memory.

After I hit "OK," AutoCAD crashes. The main problem here is that the computer has plently of memory. AutoCAD also tries to create a recovery file, but this is unsuccessful. The recovery file ends up being 0 MB.

I exported the drawing from Vectorworks 11 myself, using the .dwg export feature. I have done this several times before in the past and have been successful in opening each file in AutoCAD.

Has anyone else had this problem? I also tried to export to .dxf and had the same error. If there are too many items in the drawing (workgroup references, worksheets, layerlinks, etc) will this cause the export feature to fail? Or is this an AutoCAD issue?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

Miriam [Confused]

• 2 weeks later...

Miram

We have been having the same trouble converting files. It turned out to be a bad custom concrete hatch we were using. Try deleting intricate hatches with dots.

Hope this works for you.

I know how frustrating it can be to be told that the problem is in autocad by tech support