Massing Model - Object not closing

Ben Middlemiss

I'm trying to add a simple house to my site model by selecting the Massing Model tool and clicking the outline. BUT...after I've drawn all the walls and I click back on the first point, the object doesn't close and leaves out the last wall and I'm left with a model that is open on one side.

I've tried it in a new blank document and the same thing happens.

Am I missing something?

This might help:

- Select menu File>Preferences>VectorWorks Preferences...

- Under the Edit Tab, make sure the checkbox for SmartCursor Cues is checked.

- Click OK

- Select Window>Palettes> and mske sure the Constraints Palette is visible

- On the Constraints Palette, make sure the Snap to Object Constraint is active

(These first 2 steps make sure you get the proper snap point prior to closing the shape for your Massing Model.)

- Select the Massing Model Tool from the Architect Palette

- Click once on the screen to start a square, then click 3 times more in different places on the screen to set the first 3 segments. For the 4th side, make sure you get the SmartCursor cue "Point" to appear before clicking. Once it appears, click the 5th time to close your square.

- Select the Flyover Tool from the 3D Tools Palette and rotate up into 3D to check your work and verify that your model has 4 sides.

If this doesn't work, please tell me what version of LandMark you are running, and what operating system. If possible, update your software to 10.5, and try again. I just followed this process on 10.5 running XP and was unable to reproduce your error.

Ben,

You can edit the object so you get the polyline used to create your object.

Convert the polyline to a polygon by going to the Tool menu, convert to polygon.

Go to the OIP and make sure "Closed" is checkmarked. If it's not, then your polyline wasn't closed properly. You can check it and make it closed. Click on Exit when done.

If it is closed, then something really isn't right. Try exiting out of the object and double clicking on the Pan tool (looks like a hand) and see if you see all 4 walls there.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ben, I'd like a copy of this file for bug testing purposes. You know my email address already. One way to fix this may be to create a one line (actually one-word!) script. Try adding a new VectorScript resource to your file. You can call the script anything, like "fix open polys". When you have the VectorScript Editor window open, just type:

ClosePoly;

Then double-click the script to run it. Now regenerate your massing model. Does this fix it?