DTM - unexpected polygons

I have just started on DTMs. I am trying to create a simple site model of two level areas, one at 0 elevation and one at 7' elevation, connected by a slope. I have tried each of the methods of data entry. The data points display corectly in 3D... BUT when I generate the model the path of the polygon vertices don't follow their expected path and it creates slopes and valleys at the top and bottom of the slope that distort the model. Here's the data file I used in x,y,z format...

0 25 0

20 25 0

19 0 0

32 0 7

32 25 7

150 0 7

150 25 7

0 0 0

Please help.

Thanks

Hi Katie

Thanks for your quick reply, however that hasn't helped. So I drew 4 parallel 2D polygons, each with 3 vertices. I then converted 2d polys to 3d contours and selected 3d Loci. The Loci displayed correctly and were in the correct positions. But then I created the model and everything went crazy with the vertices of the created polygons following unexpected paths.

Can you please email me at ben@archwaysinc.com with your email address so I can send you a JPeg of the problem.

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ben, which 3D display method are you using in your model? The DTM creates a TIN (Triangulated Irregular Network) that is determined independently of the contours and then "regenerates" the contours depending on your 2D and 3D display settings. You cannot control the points or the connections in the TIN -- they are algorithmically determined. However, the contours should still be correct, in 2D and 3D.