importing dwg/dxf files into Vectorworks 11

I am doing a lot of importing of dwg/dxf files (autocad 2002) into Vectorworks 11. I am having some major dificulties having it coming out looking presentable to print. My biggest complaint is that when demension are use in the dwg/dxf files and inported they look grossly aggerated with regards tothe hash marks when in VectorWorks. What can I do to eliminate this?

Does it look okay in the print, but bad on the screen? Or does it look bad in both places?

If you want, send one of the dxf files to me and I"ll take a look at it. Please include a note in the email as to what I should be looking for.

If they really were dimension objects in the Autocad file (not exploded into just lines and text), they should import as dimension objects. You can select all of them at once in VectorWorks using a Custom Selection (Type = Dimension), and then change their Dim Std in the Object Info palette. Change it to the one you use to create dimensions in VW.

For a list of Dimension Standards, and the option to create or edit any Custom Dimension Standards, pull down File > Preferences > Document Preferences > the Dimensions tab.

I think most of that problems (dimension looking big or too thick) are due to setting wrong units when importing the file. I have found that "define automatically" almost never works and the best option is to ask the person who drew the file which units were used.

[ 09-15-2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Hugo ]