Machine Specs

Can you point me to where I can find the recommended specs for a PC running VectorWorks 10?

I am ordering a new PC this week and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ted

"not waving, but drowning.."

[ 05-10-2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: GrumpyTed ]

256 MB ram (minimum)

Win 98, NT, 2000, or XP

1 gig of free hard drive space

Any of the new computers more than likely will come with at least these settings.

If you are using one of the Industry Collection products and RenderWOrks, personally, I suggest 512 MB of RAM.

Mr Grumpy,

IF VW11 is all it's cracked up to be go with something that will incorporate the hyperthreading technology..(possibly the new 64 bot dual processors, but I have read comparisons) also if you are going to be using the Open Gl rendering abilities which are pretty sweet go with a top end rendering board...The more memory the better... that goes for RAM also.... give yourself lots of head room.

For any CAD work I think you're supposed to consider the amount of Level 2 Cache as much or more than processor clock speed. Current Celeron chips have 256k of L2 Cache (and maybe there are still some with 128k), and current Pentium4's have 512 or 1024k (and maybe 256k). So I would suggest paying attention to that spec, which is generally harder to find than clock speed specs.

And it makes a huge difference what you're going to do with VectorWorks and how much you're willing to wait around for the computer to do things. For me, 3D work is far too slow on my new 2.8 Ghz Pentium4 with Quadro video card. But for just doing monochrome line drawings without a lot of fills, my old Pentium 233 Mhz with 4 Mb brand X video ran VW 10 with instant regeneration and no problems.