autosave to local folder?

We have just upgraded to VectorWorks 10. We're very happy to finally see an autosave feature that runs without user interaction.

However, this feature currently saves a backup file in a folder in the same directory as the current file.

We work with workgroup referenced files that reside on a server, and this is causing several issues.

Firstly, when the network is busy, autosaving causing a very significant (up to 10 seconds) pause in the operation of vectorworks. Obviously, the larger the file, the bigger the problem.

Secondly, we now have "VW backup" folders all over the server that are needlessly being backed-up by Retrospect and causing us to run out of space on the tapes.

I therefor would love to be able to have the option to always save the backup file to a local folder of my choosing.

As it is currently, we really can't use this otherwise extremely useful feature.

Kees de Wit

Drost + van Veen Architects

[ 03-18-2004, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Kees W ]

doh, I can configure Retrospect to ignore any folder named 'VW Backup' This makes things more workable.

However, the problem of slow network writes and the resulting periodic stalling of VectorWorks remains.

I would still prefer one central local folder.

It would also be easier to clean up after oneself this way.

-Kees