Keyboard & Mouse Go Haywire

I'm using VertorWorks Architect 10.5.1 on a Windows XP Pro machine. I can't establish a pattern yet, & this happens on any file, not just any particular one. While working on a drawing I lose the mouse & keyboard use. The keyboard won't type the characters I've input & the mouse behaves erratically. It only happens when I'm using VectorWorks. No other program I use does this. Even shutting down VW doesn't correct the problem. I have to reboot the machine. It can happen after as little as 30 sec. of use or as long a 2 hours. All drivers & Win updates are current.... Anybody else out there ever see this behavior? It also occurs on another machine of mine under Windows 2000 as well.

Kinda' Mystified....

Freaky.

Any nearby electro-magnetic fields? I had a machine go nuts once because there were guys next door welding a metal stairway...

Cordless mouse or keyboard? I've had two machines going with cordless devices and they can interfere with each other.

If not hardware, sounds like a bad install. The party line will be to reinstall. Make sure you turn off any extensions to get as clean an install as you can.

You could also try to disk clean up and defrag your hard drive. Sometimes that can help.

Good luck

I did a defrag, un-installed the program, re-installed & it still does it. The only constant I can see so far is it seems to occur when I zoom in to something to edit or move an object. This is unfortunate as, of course, I'm working on a project for a client & this is wrecking my schedule big time. Should I apply for a research grant to figure this out? Computers are such time savers.....

Have you checked to see if there are updates to the keyboard and mouse drivers you are using?

Alot of the "shelf" keyboard and mouse sets - such as the wireless ones, or ones with all the fancy extra senseless buttons have drivers that usually need to be updated even after first install.

I'm using a Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro & Logitech Optic Wheel mouse & the latest drivers have been installed for them. I'm also using a KVM switch between this & another machine. Might this be the issue with VectorWorks? It's a Smartview Intelligent IC-712-I model. It's a high quality unit I believe......

It could be. The only way to really find out if that is the cause is to remove the switch and only plug the keyboard and mouse directly into the computer you use for VW.

You may also want to check the switch website to see if there are updated drivers for that device too.

[ 02-05-2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Who knew? Looks like it was the KVM switch or one of it's cables. I've used the SmartView unit for over a year without a problem until I upgraded from VW/RW 9.5 foundation to VW/RW Architect 10.5. Then the "troubles" really started. I switched over to another unit that I have, a Mini-View CS-142 & voila' VW runs as smooth as kitten... go figure. Guess I won't have to apply for that research grant after all....