button sensitivity

Greetings:

I am using Version 10.1.2 and am frustrated at the over sensitive nature of the buttons in the various palettes- If I click on the line type/weight button in the attributes palette often it will flash very quickly switch the line to a dashed line and then close all in under a second- of course if I slow down and wait for it to open it works - but I was hoping to be able to do something aside from having to slow down my work-

On a similar note, I can find myself having to click other buttons multiple times like the 2d selection tool for example- when I am working quickly and moving the mouse back and forth from the 2-D palette, I can see the program recognizes that I have selected that tool when I click on the button because it starts to press down the button- but then it doesn't actually push it all the way in and select that tool- again this is when I am working fast- if I slow down it works better-

so am I just lost on this one- or is there a way for vectorworks to keep up with me and not interupt "the flow"?