memory leaks in V10.5

using VW 10.5, on PC, Windows XP, after an hor or so of working in a drawing (and not too large a drawing), the whole system slows down and almost stops. It is the whole system, not just VW. When closing down, the close down takes 5 minutes or so, but when rebooted, all is fine for another hour.

This is on all 6 PC's in the office, with varying processor speeds and graphics cards - it seems to make no difference.

Any ideas?

In the past week, Microsoft has released a number of updates for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1, fixing a number of flaws:

Outlook Express Leaks Memory When It Sends an Encrypted E-mail Message

http://windows-help.net/cgi-bin/2003/6.33.cgi?63304

this may solve your problem.

You also can go directly to the Windows update site of Microsoft to update your window files.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

I've been out of the office with a new house, sorry.

256MB of ram is minimum meory requirements for certain VW combinations. Loading other programs on top of it may aid in the memory problems.

I do know that WinFax has known memory leak problems.

Try to disable WinFax for one day or half a day even and see if any changes are made.

If you need an immediate response to this problem, please contact tech support directly at 410-290-5114 or tech@nemetschek.net.

I'm not always available to answer here, especially since I am not working in Tech Support anymore.

Katie

I have emailed Technical but had no response.

I have checked all the machines in the office - some have 2.4GHz P4 processor and 512Mb memory, some 1.6GHz P4 processors and 256Mb memory - they all have the same problem.

VW10 was not a problem with this, but did have a lot of runtime errors - since upgrading to V10.5, no runtime errors, but we do have this major slowing down of machines.

Colin

I still would like to recommend to you, uninstall winfax on one of your machines for testing purposes.

Agree with Katie, that is program maybe your troublemaker. Winfax is known to be a Memory Hog.

We have some older PC's and Winfax gave us plenty of troubles on them.

We are sending our faxes the old fashioned way with the fax machine.

I just don't believe it is the newer Version of Vectorworks as we would have heard of the Memory Leak Problem already before.

Note: Let us know how you are making out. Good or Bad.

Tks

Have tried all recommendations, but no joy.

I even put everything into separate classes and switched each off in turn (hatched walls, flat plan symbols, text, dimensions etc)but the same leaks occurred. Drawing file is only 4Mb in size, simple plans as symbols, with symbols within that symbol, but memory still leaking - so much so that even after VW is closed down (and it does so very slowly), the PC is almost locked up - reboot sorts it out for another short while.

Colin [Confused]

Have you looked at the memory used by VW in the Task Manager? Open the task manager (hit ctrl-alt-del and click the Task Manager button) and select the Processes tab. Start VectorWorks, then open a document. Note the amount of memory used and periodically check it. If there is a memory leak you will see it here. You might also want to compare the memory used in 10.5 to 10.

Robert

I did what you suggested and got some interesting data:

VW starts at 30,000K with drawing open

moving about the drawing by panning, increases to 97,000K

Edit symbol - 98,000K

edit symbol within symbol - 101,000K

exit symbol - 109,000K

pan across drawing - 115,500K

fit to window - 118,000K

exit symbol - 128,000K

fit to window - 130,000K

zoom in - 136,000K

edit symbol - 138,000K

exit symbol - 148,000K

fit to window - 172,000K

zoom in - 175,000K

fit to window - 178,000K

edit symbol - 188,000K

exit symbol - 184,000K

pan across drawing - 188,000K

zoom in - 189,000K

fit to window - 192,000K

leave for 5 minutes - down to 159,000K and stays there

close drawing - CPU usage 100%, takes 5 minutes to close, then locks up VW (not responding) locks up MS Outlook (not responding)

Closes down.

Reboot - back to normal until I open VW again when the process starts again.

Any help?

COlin [Eek!]

• Administrator

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the file.

The issue causing the leaks is the hatching applied to your walls. If you remove that, then the leaks disappear. We have prioritized this fix for 10.5.1. Until then, you can use cavity fills, patterns, colors, or class attributes with hatching to work around the problem.

Thanks!